TCC/LE on flash drive?
Stan Brown
2013-06-11 23:36:19 UTC
After an hour or so of googling I haven't found any clear statement
whether the current version can be installed on a flash drive.

I tried last night, at a public Windows XP computer, downloading and
installing TC/LEE to a USB flash drive. It seemed to go okay, but I
found quite a few JPsoft keys written to the system registry.

Anyone know how to do a truly portable install of TCC/LE?
http://OakRoadSystems.com
Shikata ga nai...
Klaus Meinhard
2013-06-12 06:46:25 UTC
Hallo Stan,
Post by Stan Brown
After an hour or so of googling I haven't found any clear statement
whether the current version can be installed on a flash drive.
I tried last night, at a public Windows XP computer, downloading and
installing TC/LEE to a USB flash drive. It seemed to go okay, but I
found quite a few JPsoft keys written to the system registry.
Anyone know how to do a truly portable install of TCC/LE?
I thought this newsgroup was dead. Please go to the official support
forum under jpsoft.com

The current versions save their activation info in the registry. I
believe there is the possibility for registered users to get a
preactivated portable version on request, but I'm not sure.
--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

* Klaus Meinhard *
Laurent Jumet
2013-06-12 07:44:38 UTC
Hello Klaus !
Post by Klaus Meinhard
Post by Stan Brown
After an hour or so of googling I haven't found any clear statement
whether the current version can be installed on a flash drive.
I tried last night, at a public Windows XP computer, downloading and
installing TC/LEE to a USB flash drive. It seemed to go okay, but I
found quite a few JPsoft keys written to the system registry.
Anyone know how to do a truly portable install of TCC/LE?
I thought this newsgroup was dead. Please go to the official support
forum under jpsoft.com
...it's not dead. :-)
--
Laurent Jumet - Point de Chat, Liège, BELGIUM
KeyID: 0xCFAF704C
[Restore address to laurent.jumet for e-mail reply.]
CRNG
2013-06-12 11:00:18 UTC
Post by Klaus Meinhard
Hallo Stan,
Post by Stan Brown
After an hour or so of googling I haven't found any clear statement
whether the current version can be installed on a flash drive.
I tried last night, at a public Windows XP computer, downloading and
installing TC/LEE to a USB flash drive. It seemed to go okay, but I
found quite a few JPsoft keys written to the system registry.
Anyone know how to do a truly portable install of TCC/LE?
I thought this newsgroup was dead. Please go to the official support
forum under jpsoft.com
It's not dead. I read it, you read it and Stan reads it. Probably
others too. I find it or an email based system like yahoo groups
preferable to a web based forum.

The change to web-forum-only is the main reason I decided to stop
upgrading TCC. I'm still at v9.x
and having to visit a different news stand to purchase each one.
Steve Fabian
2013-06-12 12:32:36 UTC
CRNG wrote:
| Klaus Meinhard wrote:
|| I thought this newsgroup was dead. Please go to the official support
|| forum under jpsoft.com
|
| It's not dead. I read it, you read it and Stan reads it. Probably
| others too. I find it or an email based system like yahoo groups
| preferable to a web based forum.
|
| The change to web-forum-only is the main reason I decided to stop
| upgrading TCC. I'm still at v9.x

I, too, read it. I also like my mail and news delivered, not having to go to
the post office to get it. But I am receiving all (well, almost all) posts
of others on the current JPsoft forum by email to this day, justs took a
slightly greater effort when I signed up long ago (and each time Rex changed
hosts). And technically, news and mail servers need to be queried by the
clients to deliver the mail, so the real difference is in the level of
automation. It certainly would not stop me from upgrading.
Steve Fabian
Klaus Meinhard
2013-06-12 14:53:21 UTC
Hallo Steve, and all others,

let's face it, we're a dying creed here. The last post here is longer
ago than the retention time of my newsserver shows. The name partly
refers to an OS of the last millenium. The only reason c.o.m.4 still
exists is that nobody bothers to fill in the necessary paperwork to shut
it down.

And while I too prefer the usenet over fora at different websites, Rex
rightly saw the lack of control - the necessity of which was several
times nicely demonstrated by the temperament of Stan :-)
Post by CRNG
The change to web-forum-only is the main reason I decided to stop
upgrading TCC. I'm still at v9.x
Your spite here is damaging mainly yourself. I doubt that Rex feels a
heavy loss in his pocket from your boycott. People who really need TCMD
or are doing things with it for personal fun have long ago migrated to
the website forum (and be it grudgingly).

Herzliche Grüße,

* Klaus Meinhard *
CRNG
2013-06-12 15:46:38 UTC
Post by Klaus Meinhard
Your spite here is damaging mainly yourself.
It's not a matter of "spite". It's a matter of not wanting to have to
take the time to visit a particular web site for particular-subject
news. I don't do that for any of the software packages I own. I
don't have time for it and it's not important enough for me to make
time for it.

Consequently, I don't receive news about added features, and not
knowing about the added features I don't find a need for them and thus
my current software meets all my needs.
Post by Klaus Meinhard
I doubt that Rex feels a heavy loss in his pocket from your boycott.
I would hope not.

By the way, what are you people on the "upgrade treadmill" going to do
when Rex retires? He's got to be pushing 65 now and I'll bet his boat
is looking better and better to him.
Steve Fabian
2013-06-12 17:56:33 UTC
CRNG wrote:
| By the way, what are you people on the "upgrade treadmill" going to do
| when Rex retires? He's got to be pushing 65 now and I'll bet his boat
| is looking better and better to him.

There are many persons active in the JPsoft forum that could take over the
development and the business itself. I just hope it is not sold to a company
like Borland or Symantec, which is likely to kill it in short order.
Steve
CRNG
2013-06-12 18:42:04 UTC
On Wed, 12 Jun 2013 13:56:33 -0400, "Steve Fabian"
Post by Steve Fabian
| By the way, what are you people on the "upgrade treadmill" going to do
| when Rex retires? He's got to be pushing 65 now and I'll bet his boat
| is looking better and better to him.
There are many persons active in the JPsoft forum that could take over the
development and the business itself. I just hope it is not sold to a company
like Borland or Symantec, which is likely to kill it in short order.
I certainly agree with that view.
and having to visit a different news stand to purchase each one.
Klaus Meinhard
2013-06-12 21:17:39 UTC
Hallo CRNG,
Post by CRNG
It's not a matter of "spite". It's a matter of not wanting to have to
take the time to visit a particular web site for particular-subject
news. I don't do that for any of the software packages I own. I
don't have time for it and it's not important enough for me to make
time for it.
Consequently, I don't receive news about added features, and not
knowing about the added features I don't find a need for them and
thus my current software meets all my needs.
Suit yourself. Taking your argument to extremes, you'd be happy sitting
in a cave freezing your ass off because you have decided you don't want
to have no truch with fire.
Post by CRNG
By the way, what are you people on the "upgrade treadmill" going to
do when Rex retires? He's got to be pushing 65 now and I'll bet his
boat is looking better and better to him.
For a hobby user the free TCC LE probably should be enough for most
every need. Note that version 13 is available for free.

The upgrade treadmiil you speak about mostly concerns commercial users
who have a budget for upgrades and who generate most of Rex's income.
The people you discuss with here are mostly testers who get every new
version free of charge. If you'd tried to contribute to the develop-
ment of 4DOS/4NT/TCMD you might be on that roster too.

If you have a real need for help go to the official JPsoft help forum.
You'll notice that all other software developers have left the usenet as
a customer support platform too, years ago. Wake up or get left behind.
--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

* Klaus Meinhard *
CRNG
2013-06-12 22:40:52 UTC
Post by Klaus Meinhard
Wake up or get left behind.
I don't mind being left behind. I have no compelling need to be at
the leading edge. Have a nice trip.
and having to visit a different news stand to purchase each one.
Bruce Morgen
2013-06-12 23:17:26 UTC
Post by Klaus Meinhard
Hallo CRNG,
Post by CRNG
By the way, what are you people on the "upgrade treadmill" going to
do when Rex retires? He's got to be pushing 65 now and I'll bet his
boat is looking better and better to him.
For a hobby user the free TCC LE probably should be enough for most
every need. Note that version 13 is available for free.
That's very kind and smart
of Rex, but my old (and
duly registered) 4NT has a
few handy commands it
lacks -- e.g. TASKLIST and
TASKEND have occasionally
been very useful here,
along with SENDMAIL and
BATCOMP. I keep both
processors around these
days -- TCC/LE seems to be
better at path parsing,
but otherwise I can use
them interchangably aside
from those few 4NT commands
missing in TCC/LE.

NNB
Stan Brown
2013-06-13 02:53:19 UTC
Post by Stan Brown
After an hour or so of googling I haven't found any clear statement
whether the current version can be installed on a flash drive.
I tried last night, at a public Windows XP computer, downloading and
installing TC/LEE to a USB flash drive. It seemed to go okay, but I
found quite a few JPsoft keys written to the system registry.
Anyone know how to do a truly portable install of TCC/LE?
Well, it's lovely that this has sparked a renewal of the perennial
debate about Usenet versus captive Web forums, but perhaps in among
that someone might be willing to answer my question?

I did see a partial answer, about registration information. But this
is TCC/LE, and correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think
registration information is an issue since it's a free product.
http://OakRoadSystems.com
Shikata ga nai...
CRNG
2013-06-13 12:16:01 UTC
On Wed, 12 Jun 2013 22:53:19 -0400, Stan Brown
Post by Stan Brown
Post by Stan Brown
After an hour or so of googling I haven't found any clear statement
whether the current version can be installed on a flash drive.
I tried last night, at a public Windows XP computer, downloading and
installing TC/LEE to a USB flash drive. It seemed to go okay, but I
found quite a few JPsoft keys written to the system registry.
Anyone know how to do a truly portable install of TCC/LE?
Well, it's lovely that this has sparked a renewal of the perennial
debate about Usenet versus captive Web forums, but perhaps in among
that someone might be willing to answer my question?
I did see a partial answer, about registration information. But this
is TCC/LE, and correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think
registration information is an issue since it's a free product.
Just curious: Are you able to run TCC/LE from the USB flash drive you
installed it on? Will it run on another computer?
and having to visit a different news stand to purchase each one.
Steve Fabian
2013-06-13 13:36:00 UTC
CRNG wrote:
| Web based forums are like subscribing to 10 different newspapers
| and having to visit a different news stand to purchase each one.
| Email list-server groups and USENET are like having all of those
| newspapers delivered to your door every morning.

I wholly concur. The long ago version was done with a software package which
served the browser crowd and the newsgroup readers (and those who just
wanted digests), but was a very poor quality implementation. When Rex first
switched to a web forum a small but vociferous group of us on the JPsoft
forums who really strongly want home delivery complained strongly. We are
part of the core tester group which is sufficiently important to Rex so
that he - though grudgingly - enhanced the web softfare, and then on
switching to the Xenforo server its "new post" / "response" notification
feature to actually deliver the message itself as the notification. At least
this is my guess how it is currently done - I do get all posts made by other
users of the forum by email. No, I do not get my own posts, so my local
archive is incomplete, and to make a post I have to log into the web forum
through my browser, but the email already has the links to make it easy. I
had to work at it when the switch to the current server software was made,
but it was worth it.
Steve
CRNG
2013-06-13 20:13:51 UTC
On Thu, 13 Jun 2013 09:36:00 -0400, "Steve Fabian"
Post by Steve Fabian
| Web based forums are like subscribing to 10 different newspapers
| and having to visit a different news stand to purchase each one.
| Email list-server groups and USENET are like having all of those
| newspapers delivered to your door every morning.
I wholly concur. The long ago version was done with a software package which
served the browser crowd and the newsgroup readers (and those who just
wanted digests), but was a very poor quality implementation. When Rex first
switched to a web forum a small but vociferous group of us on the JPsoft
forums who really strongly want home delivery complained strongly.
I never could understand why Rex didn't just use Yahoo groups. They
too offer individual email delivery, digests and web-only messages;
plus the membership control that he wanted. I'm owner of a couple of
such groups and a member of about a dozen others and they work very
well IMO.
and having to visit a different news stand to purchase each one.
Bruce Morgen
2013-06-13 20:37:33 UTC
Post by Steve Fabian
| Web based forums are like subscribing to 10 different newspapers
| and having to visit a different news stand to purchase each one.
| Email list-server groups and USENET are like having all of those
| newspapers delivered to your door every morning.
I wholly concur. The long ago version was done with a software package which
served the browser crowd and the newsgroup readers (and those who just
wanted digests), but was a very poor quality implementation. When Rex first
switched to a web forum a small but vociferous group of us on the JPsoft
forums who really strongly want home delivery complained strongly.
I never could understand why Rex didn't just use Yahoo groups. They
too offer individual email delivery, digests and web-only messages;
plus the membership control that he wanted. I'm owner of a couple of
such groups and a member of about a dozen others and they work very
well IMO.
Yup, I too run a Yahoo Group
and it couldn't be easier or
more controllable right down
to the tiniest detail.
Laurent Jumet
2013-06-14 04:54:08 UTC
Hello CRNG !
Post by CRNG
I never could understand why Rex didn't just use Yahoo groups. They
too offer individual email delivery, digests and web-only messages;
plus the membership control that he wanted. I'm owner of a couple of
such groups and a member of about a dozen others and they work very
well IMO.
Generally speaking, the Usenet and even the Yahoo groups are spammed with rude messages.
On a WebForum, moderators are reading the messages in real time, and an offending one is stripped after a few minutes or even seconds. In Groups, an offending message cannot be removed when sent.
In my opinion, this is the main reason why Usenet and Groups are less used by now. But it's a metter of fact that WebForums don't meet our needs as Groups did.
CRNG
2013-06-14 11:54:52 UTC
On Fri, 14 Jun 2013 06:54:08 +0200, "Laurent Jumet"
Post by Laurent Jumet
Hello CRNG !
Post by CRNG
I never could understand why Rex didn't just use Yahoo groups. They
too offer individual email delivery, digests and web-only messages;
plus the membership control that he wanted. I'm owner of a couple of
such groups and a member of about a dozen others and they work very
well IMO.
Generally speaking, the Usenet and even the Yahoo groups are spammed with rude messages.
I beg to differ. In the groups I belong to or own, the moderator
deletes users who do not obey to posting rules. Yes, an occasional
spam get through, but then the spamer is deleted usually within a day
or so.
Post by Laurent Jumet
On a WebForum, moderators are reading the messages in real time,
I have a hard time visualizing web forum moderators reading messages
in real time 24/7. Or are you referring to moderators approving
messages before they are posted? In that case there is always a delay
between the submitting of a message and when it gets posted. Often
the delay is a day or more.
and having to visit a different news stand to purchase each one.
Stan Brown
2013-06-14 11:20:48 UTC
Post by Stan Brown
Anyone know how to do a truly portable install of TCC/LE?
Just curious: Are you able to run TCC/LE from the USB flash drive you
installed it on? Will it run on another computer?
Well, the problem is that only once a week do I have access to a
computer where TCCLE isn't already installed. With only one shot at
testing per week, I'd like to get the flash drive set up in advance
in a configuration that is likely to work.
http://OakRoadSystems.com
Shikata ga nai...
CRNG
2013-06-14 13:23:33 UTC
Post by Stan Brown
Anyone know how to do a truly portable install of TCC/LE?
Just curious: Are you able to run TCC/LE from the USB flash drive you
installed it on? Will it run on another computer?
Well, the problem is that only once a week do I have access to a
computer where TCCLE isn't already installed. With only one shot at
testing per week, I'd like to get the flash drive set up in advance
in a configuration that is likely to work.
Oh, I see your problem.

To test, I installed TCCLE v13 on a USB stick. Then I took the stick
to a Win7 computer that did not have any JPSoft software on it. I
plugged the stick in and when the file browser popped up I maneuvered
to the TCCLE13 folder and double clicked on TCC.exe and the program
executed without any complaints. I did a "dir" command and everything
looked normal, but that is all the testing I did as the computer
belonged to someone else and I didn't want to take too much time on
it.
and having to visit a different news stand to purchase each one.
Stan Brown
2013-06-15 01:25:02 UTC
Post by Stan Brown
[...]
Thanks very much for this. I just assumed I'd have to do something
special to make TCCLE work in a flash drive, but it sounds like most
likely I won't.

Thanks very much!
http://OakRoadSystems.com
Shikata ga nai...
CRNG
2013-06-15 07:19:34 UTC
On Fri, 14 Jun 2013 21:25:02 -0400, Stan Brown
Post by Stan Brown
Post by CRNG
To test, I installed TCCLE v13 on a USB stick. Then I took the stick
to a Win7 computer that did not have any JPSoft software on it. I
plugged the stick in and when the file browser popped up I maneuvered
to the TCCLE13 folder and double clicked on TCC.exe and the program
executed without any complaints. I did a "dir" command and everything
looked normal, but that is all the testing I did as the computer
belonged to someone else and I didn't want to take too much time on
it.
Thanks very much for this. I just assumed I'd have to do something
special to make TCCLE work in a flash drive, but it sounds like most
likely I won't.
Thanks very much!
You're welcome. Good luck with your project.
and having to visit a different news stand to purchase each one.