Understanding COPY /J parameter
JJ
2012-06-17 19:49:29 UTC
What does COPY /J parameter actually do?
I can't seem to figure it out the difference between normal COPY.

I thought it's actually a "resumable" copy incase the copy fails at the
middle of process. I tried copying a large ISO file using COPY /G /J so
that it took long enough for me to break it with CTRL-C. It stopped at the
middle at hasn't reach 50% yet. But when I repeat the command, it start at
0%.
Sjouke Burry
2012-06-18 02:48:59 UTC
Post by JJ
What does COPY /J parameter actually do?
I can't seem to figure it out the difference between normal COPY.
I thought it's actually a "resumable" copy incase the copy fails at
the middle of process. I tried copying a large ISO file using COPY /G
/J so that it took long enough for me to break it with CTRL-C. It
stopped at the middle at hasn't reach 50% yet. But when I repeat the
command, it start at 0%.
Did you mean copy /Y?
That tells the computer to not ask for Yes/No dialog, but to assume
Yes on all opreations, so it will overwrite files without asking.
Laurent Jumet
2012-06-18 05:26:48 UTC
Hello Sjouke !
Post by JJ
What does COPY /J parameter actually do?
I can't seem to figure it out the difference between normal COPY.
In some cases, if you are copying a directory and it fails, you can resume at the already copied last file. I don't think you can resume inside a file.
--
Laurent Jumet - Point de Chat, Liège, BELGIUM
KeyID: 0xCFAF704C
[Restore address to laurent.jumet for e-mail reply.]
Klaus Meinhard
2012-06-18 07:23:36 UTC
Post by Laurent Jumet
Post by JJ
What does COPY /J parameter actually do?
I can't seem to figure it out the difference between normal COPY.
In some cases, if you are copying a directory and it fails, you
can resume at the already copied last file. I don't think you can
resume inside a file.
That's not what it says in HELP:

/J Copy the file in restartable mode. The copy
progress is tracked in the destination file in
case the copy fails. The copy can be restarted
by specifying the same source and destination
file names.

This may or may not be a bug or a badly formulated help entry. I
suggest you bring this up in the official support forum at
www.jpsoft.com
--
Best regards,

* Klaus Meinhard *
<www.4dos.info>
CRNG
2012-06-18 08:49:44 UTC
On Mon, 18 Jun 2012 09:23:36 +0200, "Klaus Meinhard"
Post by Klaus Meinhard
Post by Laurent Jumet
Post by JJ
What does COPY /J parameter actually do?
I can't seem to figure it out the difference between normal COPY.
In some cases, if you are copying a directory and it fails, you
can resume at the already copied last file. I don't think you can
resume inside a file.
/J Copy the file in restartable mode. The copy
progress is tracked in the destination file in
case the copy fails. The copy can be restarted
by specifying the same source and destination
file names.
This may or may not be a bug or a badly formulated help entry. I
suggest you bring this up in the official support forum at
www.jpsoft.com
They aren't much help there if you aren't useing the latest version
(v25678.1 ??). They just tell you to upgrade to the current version
of the month.
Klaus Meinhard
2012-06-18 09:05:11 UTC
Post by CRNG
Post by Klaus Meinhard
This may or may not be a bug or a badly formulated help entry. I
suggest you bring this up in the official support forum at
www.jpsoft.com
They aren't much help there if you aren't useing the latest version
(v25678.1 ??). They just tell you to upgrade to the current version
of the month.
I cannot confirm this. If you tell them the version you are actually
using, they may tell you to update the the latest build of that
version, because that's where the bug may have been fixed. There are
quite a few very knowledgeable users there that will try to help
regardless of your version.
--
Best regards,

* Klaus Meinhard *
<www.4dos.info>
JJ
2012-06-18 11:04:51 UTC
Post by Klaus Meinhard
I cannot confirm this. If you tell them the version you are actually
using, they may tell you to update the the latest build of that
version, because that's where the bug may have been fixed. There are
quite a few very knowledgeable users there that will try to help
regardless of your version.
If it was a bug, how can it fails at the main part of that parameter
purpose?

I kind of think that the parameter help description is not explained
correctly.

What do you think of that parameter purpose when you read its help
description?
E. S. Fabian
2012-06-18 11:33:56 UTC
JJ:

| If it was a bug, how can it fails at the main part of that parameter
| purpose?
|
| I kind of think that the parameter help description is not explained
| correctly.
|
| What do you think of that parameter purpose when you read its help
| description?

Notice two points:
1/ HELP says "file", not "set of files". You can always use the /U option to
prevent copying a file more than once when you repeat a command.
2/ Intentionally breaking the copying process does not cause it to "fail".
If you copy from or to a removable disk, and it is removed in the middle of
the action, or you have a power failure, or - most common - if you're
copying across a communication link which fails, the /J is applicable.
Steve
JJ
2012-06-18 10:55:23 UTC
Post by Laurent Jumet
In some cases, if you are copying a directory and it fails, you
can resume at the already copied last file. I don't think you can
resume inside a file.
I even just tried that. I copied the numeruous C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\*.DLL
files so I have time to break it. Stopped it at D*.DLL. Repeated the
command, but it starts from A*.DLL again.

However, After I break a COPY comand, then typed: echo %?
It returns zero. Could it be that CTRL-C/BREAK doesn't affect /J
parameter?
Bruce Morgen
2012-06-18 17:02:38 UTC
Post by JJ
Post by Laurent Jumet
In some cases, if you are copying a directory and it fails, you
can resume at the already copied last file. I don't think you can
resume inside a file.
I even just tried that. I copied the numeruous C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\*.DLL
files so I have time to break it. Stopped it at D*.DLL. Repeated the
command, but it starts from A*.DLL again.
However, After I break a COPY comand, then typed: echo %?
It returns zero. Could it be that CTRL-C/BREAK doesn't affect /J
parameter?
As Steve Fabian explained,
using that parameter means
you can resume the copy