Suggestion for TCC command line
Stan Brown
2010-11-07 19:35:26 UTC
Very, very often I type the erroneous sequence
iff condition
commands
elseiff condition
commands
and so forth. The actual problem is a missing 'then', but the error
message doesn't ever say that, and usually points to something
several lines later.

Is there ever a legitimate case for an iff or elseiff command *not*
to be followed by a then? If not, couldn't this error be diagnosed
right on the same line -- "missing 'then' after iff or elseiff"?
http://OakRoadSystems.com
Shikata ga nai...
E. S. Fabian
2010-11-08 17:35:55 UTC
Stan Brown:

| Very, very often I type the erroneous sequence
| iff condition
| commands
| elseiff condition
| commands
| and so forth. The actual problem is a missing 'then', but the error
| message doesn't ever say that, and usually points to something
| several lines later.
|
| Is there ever a legitimate case for an iff or elseiff command *not*
| to be followed by a then? If not, couldn't this error be diagnosed
| right on the same line -- "missing 'then' after iff or elseiff"?

Stan:
While I agree with your suggestion, you do need to post it in JP
Software's "TC suggestions" forum for it to reach anyone with the means to
implement it! If you wish to influence the future of TCC, you need to bite
the bullet and join the forum.
BTW, I am not certain the suggestion can actually be implemented, due to
the parser's very great complexity. The whole programming language
originating with COMMAND.COM of IBM's PC-DOS is very poorly designed, esp.
its lack of distinguishing variables and their values, no unified syntax,
etc. Rex Conn's success in grafting as many features onto it as he did is
really surprising.
Steve
Stan Brown
2010-11-09 11:09:47 UTC
Post by E. S. Fabian
While I agree with your suggestion, you do need to post it in JP
Software's "TC suggestions" forum for it to reach anyone with the means to
implement it! If you wish to influence the future of TCC, you need to bite
the bullet and join the forum.
Steve, that's a fair enough statement. The reason I resist, as you
know, is that captive one-issue forums are very, very much less
convenient to use than Usenet. Also, and nothing against Rex
personally, I'm bothered by the idea of a single point where unwanted
messages can be permanently deleted.

Still, I may just have to live with the inconvenience. My questions
and comments about TCC/LE are piling up. :-)
http://OakRoadSystems.com
Shikata ga nai...
E. S. Fabian
2010-11-09 12:10:02 UTC
Stan Brown:

| On Mon, 8 Nov 2010 12:35:55 -0500, E. S. Fabian wrote:
|| While I agree with your suggestion, you do need to post it in JP
|| Software's "TC suggestions" forum for it to reach anyone with the
|| means to implement it! If you wish to influence the future of TCC,
|| you need to bite the bullet and join the forum.
|
| Steve, that's a fair enough statement. The reason I resist, as you
| know, is that captive one-issue forums are very, very much less
| convenient to use than Usenet. Also, and nothing against Rex
| personally, I'm bothered by the idea of a single point where unwanted
| messages can be permanently deleted.

If you read any of the JPsoft fora (browsing does not require signing
up), you would be aware that I am one of the two most vociferous opponents
of browser-based NGs. Most recently I made the comparison of Usenet-style
and browser-based NGs something like this: with Usenet style, each issue is
delivered to your doorstep; browser based is like the need to visit the
library to see what's new since the last visit. Your other point (ability to
permanently delete unwanted messages) does in fact also apply to MODERATED
Usenet NGs. AFAIK no messages were ever deleted from the new-style JPsoft
forum just because they were critical of the owner or the company. OTOH you
do want the ability of some person to delete spam, esp. pornography.

| Still, I may just have to live with the inconvenience. My questions
| and comments about TCC/LE are piling up. :-)

Whenever you sign up for the offical web forum, there is a page where
you can select how to be notified about new messages (posts) in each of the
subgroups. The one labelled "instant notification by email" is mistitled -
it results in sending you a copy of the whole post by EMAIL ("mailto:"). If
you use Outlook Express as your mail client, as I do, "reply to sender" will
send your response to the forum, where it will be (eventually) posted. Bye
sending email to the same sender you can make original posts. The posting
delay, measured as the time between sending the email and receiving it back
from the forum server varies between less than a minute to many hours. This
is caused by the interaction of the bulletinboard software, which is
purchased (or leased) by Rex Conn, and the email interface software Rex
wrote. I never discovered whether the delay is in the element of the
software which converts incoming messages to new bulletinboard postings,
which would delay the appearance of the message to everyone, or in the other
element, which detects a new post on the board, and mails it out to all
interested parties.
BTW, I recommend that you sign up not only to the TCC/LE NGs, but also
to the TCMD ones. Although the latter contain posts relating to both TCMD
and TCC mixed together, the vast majority actually relate to TCC, and a lot
of them relate to features included in TCC/LE, including all issues of
syntax.
Steve
Caesar Romano