Differences 4NT and TCCLE command language?
Stan Brown
2010-10-22 09:11:14 UTC
I had a paid copy of 4NT on my Windows XP computer, but I couldn't
find the license key so I downloaded and installed TCCLE on my new
Win 7 computer. The features that aren't supported are mostly those
I can live without.

However, I found one gotcha: In 4NT, if you call a batch program like
this
batchprog abc=123
it has one argument: $1 is "abc=123" (no quotes, of course). By
contrast, the same command in TCCLE has two arguments: $1 is abc and
$2 is 123. This broke a couple of my batch files and was very
puzzling till I figured it out.

Are the any other incompatibilities between 4NT and TCCLE? Again,
I'm not talking about the features excluded from TCCLE, which are
clearly listed, but about actual incompatibilities.
http://OakRoadSystems.com
Shikata ga nai...
E. S. Fabian
2010-10-22 10:38:43 UTC
Stan Brown:

| I had a paid copy of 4NT on my Windows XP computer, but I couldn't
| find the license key so I downloaded and installed TCCLE on my new
| Win 7 computer. The features that aren't supported are mostly those
| I can live without.
|
| However, I found one gotcha: In 4NT, if you call a batch program like
| this
| batchprog abc=123
| it has one argument: $1 is "abc=123" (no quotes, of course). By
| contrast, the same command in TCCLE has two arguments: $1 is abc and
| $2 is 123. This broke a couple of my batch files and was very
| puzzling till I figured it out.

This change (adding the equals sign = to the list of parameter
separators) was complained of in the JPsoft support group when it was first
made, and Rex explained that it is in immitation of more recent versions of
MS' CMD.EXE.

| Are the any other incompatibilities between 4NT and TCCLE? Again,
| I'm not talking about the features excluded from TCCLE, which are
| clearly listed, but about actual incompatibilities.

None I recollect. However, each new version of TCC (and is stripped down
brother TCCLE) imitates all changes MS made to CMD since the previous TCC
version. These often include changes which are NOT backward compatible. Of
course, another change is the minimum version of Windows required. It is the
announced intent that V12 be the last one that can run on WinXP.
I do suggest you join the pseudoNG ***@jpsoft.com where many
more recent and more topical messages are available. I subscribed via
browser, and selected the misnamed feature "instant notification" for each
subforum, which result in all messages posted to be sent to me by email - a
"poor man's emulation of nntp:". The delivery delay of my own emailed posts
(both new ones and replies to others' posts) varies between a few seconds to
many hours.
--
HTH, Steve